Monday, January 26, 2009

Bad News Blues

Saturday was a good day for the most part. After lunch I rode my bike to the coffee bar and hung met up with Ben and Lisa. They invited me for supper in Rowan, and I called Paule and she said that's fine. So I didn't have Bible evening, which was pretty nice. We hung out in Rowan around a fire and read papers and talked until supper, which was delicious. After supper we helped Ben prepare some food for Sunday lunch so he didn't have to do it all Sunday morning and could therefore sleep in. Around 10:15 we started walking down to HB Hall for a party. We got Marietta from Lusmore and Ben grabbed a group of people from High Farm and we all went down together.

About 10 minutes into the party Luis told me, "Ah, something very sad...Violet broke her leg and will have to be--(killing motion)" He likes to pull my leg about these things sometimes, so I didn't believe him at first, but then he explained what had happened. Violet is in heat, and two of the biggest cows jumped on her at the same time. Her legs just buckled out from under her. We were in a crowd of smokers outside the back door of the hall, and as we weaved through everyone and headed up to the byres Lisa Marie saw us and ran to catch up. Luis explained, and she came along. It was so sad to see her in so much pain. She was standing, breathing shallowly and drinking a lot. Her leg wasn't obviously bent at an odd angle or anything, but she wasn't putting any weight on it either. I stood with her and tried to connect with her and let her feel some love and peace for a bit. I cried a lot.

The rest of the party was not so fun cuz my mind was completely with Violet. So I came home around 1:00 and went to bed.

The next morning I went to a Quaker Meeting in Great Ayton, and that was WONDERFUL. I'll tell you all about it later, but now I have to go to work.

No comments: